31 Weather Tracker Tornado Safety Rules
31 Doppler Max is the most sensitive and
advanced warning system. Once tornadoes or tornadic activity
has been spotted, it is time to take action if near your
- 1. Tornadoes require immediate ACTION!
- 2. Stay indoors and away from electrical appliances.
- 3. Outdoors, stay away from high and conductive objects.
- 4. Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
- 5. Protect your head.
- 6. In homes and small buildings, go to the basement or to an
interior part of the lowest level if an underground shelter is
not available. Closets, bathrooms, and interior halls offer the
BEST protection in many cases. Get under something sturdy. In
schools, nursing homes, hospitals, factories and shopping centers,
go to pre-designated shelter areas. Interior hallways on the
lowest floor are usually the best. In high-rise buildings, go to
interior small rooms or hallways on the lowest floor possible.
- 7. Leave mobile homes or vehicles. Take shelter in a substantial
structure. If there is no nearby shelter, lie flat in the nearest
ditch or ravine with your hands shielding your head.
© 1996 WAAY-TV