History of Smith Broadcasting
WBRC in Birmingham, Radio Stations, WAAY-TV and HiWAAY Internet Services

(v 4.20.12) For Internet Web Page

Written by M.D. Smith, III, Kirby Jones Smith, and M.D. Smith, IV


WBRC came to life on May 27, 1925 as a 50 watt AM radio station on 1210 KHz. The studio and transmitter was in the home of the owner, J.C. Bell and the call letters stood for Bell Radio Corporation. WBRC was the 2nd radio station on the air in Alabama. In the early days of radio it was not uncommon for stations to be moved up and down the radio dial in an attempt to accomodate the increasing number of stations taking to the airwaves. In the next two years WBRC would increase its power to 250 watts (4/22/27), move to 1230 KHz (6/1/27), move to 1240 KHz (11/28/27) and move to 990 KHz on March 28, 1928.

M.D. Smith, Jr. bought WBRC Radio (Bell Radio Corporation = WBRC) in Birmingham, from J.C. Bell in 1928 for $2,000.00. The station operated four hours a day on (eventually on a frequency of 960 kc) with a power of 50 watts. The transmitter and studios were in the home of Bell, which was located in Fountain Heights.

(Mr. Bell's wife, Mary Emma Clayton Bell, did announcing (1925-1928) as was told in her death announcement of April 1, 2008. Yes, the date is correct, she was 105 years old, and was said to be one of the first "women disk jockeys." She lived in Vestavia.)

[Note, for a complete history of Channel 6, WBRC that includes history after the station was sold to Storer, click FOX6 here. ] http://www.myfoxal.com/story/10551172/fox-6-wbrc-station-history (link subject to change)

M.D. Jr. father, M.D. Smith, Sr. was originally a Minister born in 1853. He had to make his own tent for a revival, made it better than any of that age, and eventually made some others and sold them. It was profitable, and he ended up going into that business full time as "Smith Mfg. Co." M.D. Sr. had two sons, M.D. Jr. (born 1890) and H.L. Smith came into the business Smith Manufacturing Company around 1908 in Dalton, GA. They made large and small tents. With his 2 sons M.D. Jr. and H.L., they started Awning and Tent companies in Birmingham, Atlanta and Chattanooga from their Dalton, GA home. Around 1910, M.D. Smith, Jr. came to Birmingham (probably with his father's guidance) and started Birmingham Awning and Tent Company, a branch of the Dalton Family business. M.D. Jr. Married Eloise Hanye in Feb. of 1912.

M.D. Jr. and H.L. had a disagreement and split the businesses in 1919, with M.D. Jr. taking Birmingham and Atlanta (later sold). There were plants then in Birmingham, Chattanooga and Dalton. MDS Jr.(born in 1890 and died in June 1937 from a nail wound in his arm from blood poisoning in days before Penicillin) ended up owning and running the Birmingham plant. H.L. took over Chattanooga and Dalton. By then, M.D. Sr. had died or retired. (Atlanta sold or closed down)

Here is another photo of M.D. Smith, Jr. with his son, M.D. III (born 1917) as a small boy.


The frequency was moved again on 11/11/28, this time to 930 KHz and the power was increased to 500 watts. In 1929 the transmitter was moved to a location behind the Birmingham Awning and Tent Works (the Smiths main business), at the corner of 12th Avenue and 27th Street North. Power stayed at 500 watts. Les Conners was hired as the Station's first salesman.

The studio was moved to the Old Athletic Club. Broadcast hours were extended to 12 hours a day when power was increased on April 30, 1929 to 1,000 watts daytime and 500 watts night.


WBRC increased its power to 5000 watts and moved the studios to the Temple Theater on the mezzanine floor. The all-glass enclosure was known as The Crystal Studio. The transmitter was moved to a remote location in North Birmingham, known as Kilocycle, Alabama. Bill Young was hired as a second salesman and John Connerly was hired as chief announcer. (Don Connerly was a early part owner in beginning)

The station was incorporated, and J.C. Bell bought 25 percent of the stock, Glenn Marshal bought 25 percent, and M.D. Smith, Jr. and wife Eloise had 50 percent.


Studio and offices were moved to the Bankhead Hotel. In December 1932, WBRC paid its first dividend of $5,000 to its stockholders. Radio had become a profitable business. Mr. Smith, Jr. continued his Birmingham Awning and Tent business and MDS, III was 14 and working part time in the Awning and Tent company. He went into the business full time a few years later.


Due to the rapid expansion of the radio business, WBRC moved to their present location on the corner of 19th Street and 2nd Avenue North. The staff had increased to 20 and WBRC became affiliated with the NBC network.


M.D. Smith, Jr. died in 1937 at the age of 46 (Born Nov. 24,1890-Died June 9,1937) (from blood poisoning he got from a cut) and his wife, Eloise Hanye Smith (later Eloise Smith Hanna) (Born Apr. 7, 1893 - Died Dec. ll, 1980) , took control of Bell Radio Corporation (WBRC).

M.D. Smith, III and Elizabeth Kirby Jones married August 4, 1937. Because of the death of his father, the wedding was smaller than planned and held at home. MDS, III continued to run Birmingham Awning & Tent Company while his mother, Eloise, took over the radio business.


The present transmitter location, at Finley Blvd and Highway 78 was put in operation on February 3, 1938 when the station's power was increased to 5,000 watts daytime and 1,000 watts night. On October 1, 1940 a second tower was added to make the station directional to the south at night. On March 29, 1941 WBRC was ordered by the FCC to move their frequency to 960 KHz where it remains today.

(Of interest, the layout of this building with offices to the left, entrance hall & live studio in center, and on the right the announcer/control room and rear of that was the transmitter room. MDS, III built that exact same layout in 1955 when he built WBYE-AM in Calera, Alabama as the first radio station he would build and own himself after Eloise sold WBRC-AM-FM & TV in 1953. The WBYE building was still the original in 2017 when I visited)


Eloise Smith bought out Glenn Marshal's stock for $25,000 and took over the reins of the Corporation as President and General Manager. In 1940, J.C. Bell died and Eloise Smith purchased Mrs. Bell's stock for $35,000.

In 1940, Eloise married Dr. Hanna and changed her legal name to Eloise H. Hanna.


December 6, 1940 - M.D. Smith, IV was born. (Pearl Harbor would be bombed a year and a day later )


During the war years, Eloise H. Hanna joined the Motor Corps and rendered valuable service transporting our troops to and from arrival and departure points. She was also a member of the American Red Cross.

During the war years, there was much talk about FM radio. It was believed that after the war, all AM stations would convert to FM.

added by Kirby Jones Smith (Mrs. M.D. Smith, III)

M.D. Smith, III was in business as Birmingham Awning & Tent Co. After Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941) , the Quartermaster came to see us about war work, since we made tents, awnings, and taupolines at Birmingham Awning and Tent, and practically said we had to go in war work. We made everything from parachutes to underware, as well as tents, during the war.

We then formed Marson and Company--a 50-50 partnership, M.D. Smith III and Kirby J. Smith--we were known as in the needle trade. They loaned us $50,000 and furnished all material. We paid back the $50,000 after the first item. We started making bandoleers (shell clips) at our location at 213 South 21st Street, Birmingham, Alabama. We bought 40 sewing machines, a cutting table, and turned out 5 million bandoleers.

During that time, the Quartermaster seemed pleased and came to us and asked us to make parachutes. They were all white and all shroud lines too. We had a time as they were all cut on bias to center top ring. There was always a government inspection in the three plants, to even count the stitches as per specs. After the first 425 came off and were inspected, we finally had one accepted. I'll never forget MD III held it up and said we had conquered the order to parachutes. We went on and made and shipped a total of 75,000 parachutes. At a price we received $50.00 a parachute, we made a ton from them (MD IV was 1 year and 3 months old in March of 1942. I'll never forget MD III said to MD IV, we are on our way!)

We were also awarded contracts for 100,000 barrack bags, men's shirts, general issue, and jungle hammocks, as the war was invading through the jungle, through the Philippines. They were very complicated, made to hang between two trees, and had hammock canvas bed with sides of netting, a zipper on all sides, and a waterproof top. We made 25,000 jungle hammocks and were paid late, as not many plants in the United States would undertake them. We had then bought two other buildings, each two floors, to make these items. We worked three shifts at all plants with 800 people (seamstresses) and long cutting tables in each plant. They gave us the patterns of heavy-like Formica. We laid 50 layers for each cut. The minimum wage was 40 cents an hour.

Everything was rationed and every month, every adult received a book (similar to food stamps) for gasoline, meat, sugar, alcohol (one pint per person a month).

The day the Armistice was signed, every war contractor received a wire to cease. They sent 18-wheel trucks to collect all materials. No matter what stage the item was in, they picked it up.


We sold most of the commercial sewing machines, but kept some and when white material was starting to be made again, we bought white broadcloth and made 1,000 white shirts for Arrow. We paid for cloth, labor, thread, buttons, and everything. We did make a little, but decided MD III would go back to WBRC Radio. During the war days, I made $500 a month and MD III made $1000 a month. We had a big savings account. When he went back to WBRC, I stayed and refurbished Birmingham Awning (Now MARSON) and ran it. The "MAR" was from the Marcellus and the "SON" was from Davidson (what M.D. is the abbreviation for). The logo had a orange sun over the name.

Here is a photo of the building on 213 South 21st Street around 1945. Notice the nice cars parked in the alley beside the building.


Anita was born the first year back in the normal business, so we sold Birmingham Awning and Tent and Venetian Blind to Guarantee Awning in Birmingham for $7500. I had a nurse at home and I had a couple (cook and chauffeur) on place all time. You see why MD III gave me a 1945 yellow Cadillac when Anita was born.

(end of Mrs. Smith III's comments)


Mrs. Hanna applied for, and received, a construction permit to put WBRC-FM on the air. It was the world's most powerful FM station, operating with a power of 500,000 watts. During 1947, her son, M.D. Smith III, joined WBRC-AM and FM as salesman. Smith was later promoted to Program Director and Vice President of WBRC.


FM radio did not sweep the country as expected, and due to large losses, the FM station was taken off the air in June of 1948. Mrs. Hanna then turned her attention to the emerging medium of television. Many felt that TV, like FM, was just a flash in the pan and would never be anything more than just a novelty. Mrs. Eloise Hanna had never lost her pioneering spirit though , so she borrowed $150,000 and building began. The photo of her at her desk shows the nameplate mis-spelled "Elose", but it was an expensive gift and she chose to leave it that way.

WBRC-TV on the air on July 4, 1949. It was put IN the FM building that was already on Red Mountain.


July 4, 1949 - - - A yearbook shows the details of Channel 4 with original power of 15KW Visual and MDS III as the only contact as PD. In early 1953, the FCC made them change to Channel 6 to avoid interference with Nashville. It cost a lot to modify the transmitter to change channels, but it had to be done.

When WBRC TV went on the air, there were only 12 TV sets in Birmingham, and they were in dealers' show windows. M.D. Smith III was appointed as Operations Manager of TV. Oliver Naylor was salesman; Evelyn Allen, Traffic; Bob Farris, Film Editor; Felix Lewis, Cameraman; and Hardy Carl, Chief Engineer. Nora Harrimontrec was Artist. So with a staff of seven, we were off and running.

We were affiliated with the DuMont & NBC Television Networks. However, there was no cable connecting us with New York, so all network programs came to us on kinescope or film.

M.D. Smith, III and Mrs. Hanna continued to add equipment and personnel to the TV station. Live studio cameras were added in 1950, and by 1953 the staff had grown to 15. Today WBRC TV, Channel 6, employs more than 150 people.


Fall, 1951 - - - [ Note from M.D. Smith, IV - My father told me about how creative they had to be, even decorating the small studio with toilet tissue for background effects, since there was virtually no budget for props. ] So here is that creativity in action with the costumes of the staff of WBRC-TV (and probably radio also) at a station party around Halloween of 1951. Of this group of five, M.D. Smith, III is on the left in the dress with the bandage on his leg. Don't they make a darling couple? And here is a Group of nine around the table. And finally, The whole staff and all their costumes. TV folks have always known how to have fun.


A Newspaper Article & photo appeared on Mrs. Hanna and a visit to Europe and the Middle East she made with a Press Group sponsored by the U.S. State Department.

Election Returns of 1952 when Eisenhower was elected. Note the NBC, Channel 4 logo in the top of the photo. The station changed to Channel 6 shortly after this night. (Early 1953) The FCC said there was too much overlap with Ch. 4 in Nashville, (making viewing in Huntsville very difficult) so the FCC ordered WBRC to switch over to Channel 6. There was a fair amount of expense doing that, but it had to be done.

Channel 4 Election Returns just after getting live cameras in November of 1952. Kirby Smith (Mrs. M.D.) can be seen on left. She is woman in dark hair just under man holding sign.


In this year, Mrs. Hanna decided to retire and sold WBRC TV/AM-FM to Storer Broadcasting for $2.3 million.

(By Kirby Jones Smith) After a year, we started our own broadcast station and formed a corporation.

Written by M.D. Smith, IV - March 1992


M.D. Smith, III and wife Kirby Jones Smith, put radio station WBYE AM on the air in Calera, Alabama. Built from scratch. On 1370 kc with a power of 500 watts, daytime-only license. One of the sales mottos was, "Your Best Buy By Far Is Bye." It was the first top 40 radio station in the area. M. D. Smith, IV worked one summer in 1956 at the station as music librarian, assistant book keeper and remote technician (set up remote mics for Sunday Church remote broadcasts). The station is still on the air and this photo of WBYE-AM was taken in July of 2002. The building is exactly the same size and layout as when it was first built, on the road out of Calera on the way to Montevallo, Alabama. It was built on the same floor plan as WBRC's original transmitter/studio building on Finley Blvd.

Here is M.D. Smith, IV standing under sign on 7-27-02 and another of the road sign on the highway.


M.D. Smith III bought WJIG AM in Tullahoma, TN, already on the air on 740 kc with a power of 1000 watts daytime only. Henry Beam, who worked as a salesman for a beer company, became General Manager/Sales Manager.

M.D. Smith, III resigned from Storer Broadcasting to devote full time to the radio business and the two stations.


M.D. Smith III buys WHBS AM, 1550 AM, (5,000 watts day and 500 watts, directional antenna at night) from the Huntsville Times, changes call to WAAY, and changes format from Adult Listening music to Rock and Roll Top 40. A petition is circulated to boycott the radio station and run new sound out of town. Several employees quit that cannot tolerate Rock and Roll music. Dick Essner becomes Chief Engineer as well as Disk Jockey. M.D. Smith IV, who has been working as Record Librarian, also began some Disk Jockey duties in the summer of 1958, filling vacation shifts.

Here's one of the weekly "Family Survey" Top 60 record lists of August 1959. A bit closer shot shows the four DJ's pick hits of the week. The DJ's are Dan Akens, Dick Essner, Jerry Lee (aka Jerome Tisdale) and Dee Scott (aka M.D. Smith, IV). This was list #31 for the 31st week of the year. This week, Dee Scott's Pick Hit of the week was "Tall Cool One" by The Wailers on Golden Crest records.

At WAAY Radio, commercials were played on a pair of Magnecord PT-6, reel to reel, recorders. Each commercial, jingle and promo was on a 3" reel of tape and running multiple spots required great dexterity to rewind and rethread one recorder while the other was playing. The rewind motors would break a finger if it got in the spokes of the tape hub during rewind. You had spare heavy duty leader tape, a tape splicer and splicing tape to continue to replace the leader that would whip off sometimes during rewind or the fast threading you had to do. Spotmaster cartridge tapes that came in later years, were fantastic.


M.D. Smith, III, at the strong urging of his wife, Kirby Jones Smith, buys WFBS (Fort's Best Station) in Ft. Walton Beach, FL from French Brown. The station had gone on the air in Ft. Walton during the summer of 1956 on 950 kcs at 500 watts, daytime only. FCC approval of the sale came in May of 1960 and MDS III changed call letters to WNUE, the "Nue" station in town with the Top 40 format that's always "Nue". Here's a photo of the first coffee mug WNUE ever made. It says, "For Better Business Tomorrow, WNUE Today." Station was on 950 Kcs Daytime. By changing frequency to 1400, station was able to go night-time and broadcast 24 hours a day. Power was 1,000 watts day and 250 watts night. Kirby Smith also is involved with the bookeeping, accounting, record list, music, contests and promotions.


M.D. Smith, IV graduates from college in June. In college he worked for WNPT and WJRD as an first-phone engineer. He also worked for the student AM station WABP as the Sales Manager. This is his first Business Card.

Begins to work for WAAY-Radio as Merchandising Director, engineer and disk jockey. We are planning to put a TV station on the air on Channel 25. Charles Grisham plans to put one on the air on Channel 19. The lone station, WAFG, Channel 31, which has been struggling, decides to get out of the business faced with the impending competition (Sign on Car for ch. 25) and in the Summer of 1963 offers to sell it to Smith Broadcasting for $500,000.00 That is about what was planned to be spent on Channel 25, so it is decided to take their offer. Jim Beasley from Sweet Sue in Athens is the majority stockholder who confirmed the sale. The minor stockholders in Huntsville did not want to sell, but had no choice. The deal was concluded in July and we apply to the FCC for an ownership change. Meanwhile, Channel 19 begins construction on property next to channel 31. Channel 25 is later awarded to the Alabama Educational Television authority. Robert (Cactus) Gay (age 23) is one of the engineers employed by WAFG-TV when it is bought by Smith and stays with the company until the present time. The station was broadcasting on a 125 foot tower with 240,000 watts. Call letters are changed to WAAY-TV.

First mascot was a beagle hound.

November - The FCC finally approves the sale and the Smiths take over Channel 31 with a staff of 17 people. M.D. Smith, IV is Operations Manager. Maury Farrell is Sales Manager and MDS, III is a remote General Manager. Channel 31 (WAAY-TV) is affiliated with the ABC television network. Channel 19 (WHNT)also goes on the air in November with a 250 foot tower and 600,000 watts. Channel 31 had ONE Video Tape Machine. It was an Ampex, VR-1000. It used 2" tape. It was monochrome (or course). It took up a space of 4 feet, by 4 feet by 6 feet and that did NOT include the TWO 6 foot high equipment racks of electronics (all tubes) to run the machine. It had massive power supplies and tubes had to be changed every day to keep it running. Only one spot on a break could be on Video Tape since there was no way to splice or edit tapes together. The other commercials had to be Slides and Audio Tape. A picture of Master Control with projectors and slide chain in the foreground and the operator (Lamar Gilbert) at the "switcher" in the background.

When we bought the station, they were reading all commercials LIVE from the announce booth. The first thing we did was put in Audio Cart Machines with trip cues for the slides to eliminate the announcer and the switcher didn't have to read along with the copy and trip the slides at the right time. There was a Live Romper Room show every weekday morning. It was the major production of the day. We used two, mismatched B/W studio cameras. One was a General Electric Image Orthicon camera with a 3 lens turret and the other was a General Electric Videcon camera with a zoom lens. We liked the zoom lens a lot and eventually replaced the turret with another very expensive "Zoomar" zoom lens (as seen in photo) we bought used at a good price. In the photo, M.D. Smith, III is running Camera 3.

The slides for commercials were shot on Black&White "reversal" film. When it was processed it was a slide ready to show, rather than a negative to make a print from. That station had a very small, old B/W film processor that processed 16mm B/W film for the nightly newscast at 6 and 10. It ran slowly at 4 feet per minute and it took 100 feet of film for less than 3 minutes of film, much of which would be edited out and thrown away. However, we tried to only shoot what we wanted to use to save on film costs. If a photographer could get 2 or 3 stories on one 100' roll of film, we thought he was great. Our 6 and 10 P.M. News Casts were called "The WAAY of the World". The station also owned one OLD Auricon sound 16mm camera. It was an optical sound track and the electronics (tubes) used numerous batteries for the filament voltage, plate voltage and motor power.

Late November - Just two weeks later, President Kennedy is shot and ALL TV stations cease broadcasting commercials for 5 days. This is tough for a struggling new TV station.

WAAY Radio, meanwhile, is making a lot of money as the dominant radio station in Huntsville and the revenue is used to pay the losses at channel 31 during these first few struggling years.


January - WAAY-TV broadcasts the first of the ANNUAL C-P Telethons from our studios. Running the camera is M.D. Smith, III and in front of it is Maury Farrell. "Cactus Gay" also takes a turn on camera, as does almost everyone in the station during this event.


March - M.D. Smith, IV AND M.D. Smith, III both get pilot's licenses. The first aircraft owned by WAAY Radio and TV was a Cessna 172 SkyHawk. Here is a photo of the tail of that aircraft with the "NewsHound" logo that has been in use at the radio stations for 9 years. Aerial film of tornado damage in parts of Western Alabama are shot later that month.

Here is an aerial photo of WAAY Radio made about the same time. You see the three tower directional array maintained by Chief Engineer Robert A. ("Cactus) Gay. The center tower is self-supporting and was used originally when the station was daytime only. The other two are guyed and were put up to form the directional array to allow night time power and 24 hour operation.

August - Anita Smith and Wayne Johnson are married. Wayne goes to work at WAAY Radio in June of 1966 after getting a degree in Marketing at U of A.


Channel 31 builds a new 400 foot tower (the old was 125 feet tall) and increases power from 240,000 watts to 1,240,000 watts in order to serve Florence. With this tower and power improvement we are able to convince NBC we would be a far better affiliate to have than WMSL, channel 23 located in Decatur. The Network agrees. In January 1968, Channel 31 switches to NBC to improve ratings. Maury Farrell and M.D. Smith, IV have picture taken in front of Giant Floral Peacock in studio.

M.D. Smith, III heard a song in another town, and found out that the music was available for purchase and a special pressing of a 45 RPM Record. The company would either write your song lyrics or you could do them yourself. Mr. Smith decided to have the record made for Huntsville and Ft. Walton Beach (Home of WNUE Radio). He wrote the lyrics for both songs and the TV station pilot (M.D. Smith, IV) flew the company airplane for the aerial shots of the two cities. A month later, "Huntsville, My Home Town" was born. This link is a page with BOTH album covers, words, and the music you can download in RA or .MP3 format.

In 2009, Gareth Stearns used the "Ft. Walton, My Home Town" (version 1) song and put (version 2) old Ft. Walton photos with it. These are the two versions and each is over 30 mb large. You can click to download and view, or "save target to" and save to your hard drive. Thanks Gareth.

August - After both Smith's get Multi-Engine ratings, the station converts to it's first of four Piper Aztec Twin Engine Airplanes. This is the Piper PA-250 (N31TV) with engines of 250 horsepower each. It is 60 miles an hour faster than the Cessna 172.


February - Channel 31 Signs an agreement with Jackson Way Baptist Church to begin televising the Sunday worship service with the first LIVE microwave remote in the valley. Maury Farrell and M.D. Smith, IV look on as Rev. Jim Dorriety signs the agreement. The broadcasts begin in June of 1968.

April - Channel 31 converts to Color Video Tape and Color studio cameras. Having bought a used color film chain/island from WTOP in Washington, DC in 1965 and the first station to broadcasting anything local in color. The Two new 2", Quad rotating head tape recorders (RCA TR-70 and an RCA TR-22 (used but "high-banded" for color)) were a major improvement. Before we only had one Black&White Ampex VR-1000, all tube video tape recorder. It was a monster and good to retire it. It sat in storage for a year with no one wanting it, and was finally sold for a few hundred dollars as parts. The big RCA TK-42 Color Studio cameras were huge. They each had one 3" Image Orthicon tube for the picture and three 1" vidicon tubes for the 3 color guns. The cameras cost $50,000 each. A complete set of replacement tubes was $12,000 per camera. As the first station to broadcast live newscasts in color, we were very proud. Channel 19 had a ratings edge over us, even in B/W, but they also bought new color cameras about 8 months later.


August - After 6 years working for WNUE ( 1 yr.) and WAAY (5 yrs.) Radio, Dan Whitsett, takes Maury Farrell's place as General Sales Manager of Ch. 31. At that time the TV station was gross billing about $300,000 a year with about 25 employees.


ABC signs up with WMSL, Channel 23 who get a frequency (Channel 48) moved to Huntsville and move from channel 23 in Decatur to channel 48 in Huntsville. They build a 900 foot tower, but are on a mountain that is 500 feet lower than Monte Sano, so their antenna is not that high above average terrain. Maury Farrell is their new general manager working for Frank Wisnett of Decatur. Their new call letters are WYUR ("Your" TV station). They are bought years later by American Family Life Insurance company and change calls again to WAFF (American Family's Finest).


The late 60's and early 70's PAMS jingles packages - Listen and remember

WAAY - PAMS solid-rock-2-song.mp3 1:42 full song.
WAAY - PAMS solid-rock-2-series.mp3 5:49 package.
WAAY - PAMS series 42-q-superstar.mp3 8:14 package.
WAAY - PAMS a-capellas-40.mp3 14:15 package.
WAAY - PAMS 34-cut-27.mp3 6:07 package.
WAAY - PAMS shouts.mp3 6:13 package.
WAAY - PAMS a-capellas-31-32-33(1970).mp3 9:54 package.
WAAY - PAMS series-29.mp3 7:21 package.
WAAY - PAMS holidaze.mp3 2:06 package.

"Fifteen-Fifty . . . W - A - A - YYYYYYYY!"


Channel 31 decided to convert from B/W film for the TV news to Kodak's new color news film. We install a high speed color processor and tanks of color chemicals. The old processor operated at 4 feet of film per minute. We felt the new 20 foot per minute processor was a speed demon. It certainly used up a lot of color film at $10.00 per 100 foot roll (about 2 1/2 minutes of film). We processed and used about 10 rolls per day for the newscasts. This was a major expense to our station (about $5,000 a month).


January - For a year, M.D. Smith, IV was the weatherman at 6 and 10 P.M. The maps in those days were painted on canvas with a plexiglass cover. The daily weather was drawn with "paint pens" of various ink colors. It had to be removed with lacquer thinner. The temperature boxes and the forecast was "menu board" with plastic stick-on letters. The nice part was that you could draw right on the map to explain what was happening.

March - WAAY Radio and WAAY-TV do our first major joint promotion. The Bridal Fair held at the Sheraton Motel on University Drive. It was a big success and made money for both stations, but it was a real problem deciding which salesman at radio or TV got how much commission from selling it. This and other logistical problems prevented many other joint promotions of this nature in the future.


March - A newly Designed News Set and the first Meterologist, Walton Jones joins the anchor team of Adrian Gibson, Sam Depino and Ed Sisson. The weather maps are the same material, but get reversed.


March - The anchor team grows. Dan Jamison, Sports Director is added to the team (back,left), along with Walton Jones (back,right) and (L to R) Ed Sisson, Adrian Gibson and Sam Depino.

September - The anchor team grows by one more. Tony Beason as Reporter & Anchor is added to the team. Dan Jamison-Sports, Walton Jones-Weather, Ed Sisson, Adrian Gibson and Sam Depino. We are on our way to Number ONE.


February - We became Number One in news at 6 & 10 after three years working with the Consulting Firm of McHugh-Hoffman. We had not been #1 in news for over 6 years. We found out what it took overall to win in the ratings. Some of those things are still a secret lesson. A lesson M.D. Smith, IV never forgot.

The anchor team that was #1 in 1974 was (Left to Right standing) John Bradshaw (new-weather), Tony Beason (News), Dan Jamison (Sports). (Left to Right seated) Ed Sisson (News) Adrian Gibson (Anchor) and Sam Depino (Anchor).

April 3/4 - The April 3rd tornados (some people refer to April 4th, the day all the destruction was visible) gave us much publicity as the ONLY station with live weather radar to show the storms until ALL TV stations were knocked off the air at 11:05 p.m. when the last tornado crossed the top of the mountain at Monte Sano and Panorama. Fifteen people in Madison County were killed. Many more in other North Alabama Counties. The stations were off the air for 2 days. Phil McHugh of McHugh-Hoffman Consultanting was in town for a consulting visit at the time. Parkway City Shopping Center was nearly destroyed. It was later rebuilt as a Mall with covered center walkway. (Note: in 2001-2002 it was rebuilt again as "Parkway Place", a two-story and greatly enlarged Mall.)

Governor George Wallace (then in a wheel chair) sent our station a personal letter thanking us for our Radar Coverage warning the people of North Alabama and likely saving many lives in the area.


February - To improve our Weather Radar, we added a digital, color system to it to make it easier for the viewers to see various intensities of storms. We were the first in Alabama with this innovation.

April - We began what was to be a long running campaign of "31 News Everywhere" with a bumper sticker campaign and cash & merchandise prizes. Viewers sent in photos of stickers all around the valley, including this one from Guntersville. Locations around the valley were filmed from a chopper. We put giant 31 Everywhere letters on the ground. One seen here in Big Spring Park in Huntsville. Other locations were throughout the valley as far as Florence.

We had a great set of music jingles used with on-air promos and radio spots. They basically said, "Look for us, we'll be there, 31 News is Everywhere." M.D.Smith, III and IV wrote the lyrics together for these jingles. The 60 second cuts could be split into two 30 second cuts for variety. Here are three versions in .mp3 format of about 1 mb each. 31 News Everywhere - Male - Full 60 vocals.mp3 which I think is the best cut. Then 31 News Everywhere - Female - 60 Vocal.mp3 and finally the "bumper"31 News Everywhere Bump vocals (long donut).mp3 which allowed for putting words inside the jingle.


April - New 1,000' Tower - The board met and decided to replace our 400' tower with a 1,000' one. Took MDS IV, Cactus and MDS III meeting with Monte Sano Civic association and several homeowners in the area to get approval to build it. The erector set arrived on several flat bed trucks in late spring and here you will see photos of the 6 months period it took to assemble each tower leg, brace and thousand of nuts and bolts that made up each 30' section of tower. The Job of clearing the land, pouring guy anchors, assembly, erection, adding transmission line, lights & power and finally placing the antenna on the top, was massive. It cost $300,000.00 to build. Here are photos of building the newer 31 tower in 2004, but it was exactly the same as '76 This is how you build a really big tower. The last photo IS the old tower.

May - It's the bi-centennial year (1776-1976) and before the July event, Channel 31 constructs a HUGE set, we call the "31 News Center" and the look and type style matches NBC's News Center. Left to Right are Ken Rainey (weather), Dave Stanley (news anchor), Adrian Gibson (news anchor) and Rick Davis (sports).

Two nice close-up shots of Dave Stanley with the TV Monitor and Two-Way equipment. The other is of Ken Rainey on the freshly designed weather set.

" The Great American WAAY" was the Radio Theme during these few years and among other items, the "Great American WAAY" belt buckle in both pewter and bronze was created. Bob Baron was behind this idea and M.D. III hated to spend so much money. He got more of the pewter to give away, because they cost so much less. Here's a good close up of the WAAY buckle in Pewter ...... and the WNUE buckle in Bronze. These are rare collectors items. Thanks to Don Roden for the last two images.

December - The Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville announced that due to declining interest and sponsor support, there would be no annual Christmas parade in Downtown Huntsville that year. Bob Baron with WAAY-Radio, M.D. Smith, III and M.D. Smith, IV all got together and decided that WAAY Radio and TV would put on an "All Volunteer Christmas Parade" Everyone pitched in building their own floats, entries, and bands, and the Parade went on. That was the FIRST and TWENTY years later, WAAY-TV still has the commitment to see that our all volunteer Christmas Parade takes place. The location was moved from the route around the courthouse downtown, to a route starting beside the Huntsville Hilton and passing the Civic Center and looping the downtown area because of the size. The event attracted over 211 entries and close to 50,000 spectators.

December - Our 1,000 foot new tower nears completion (we began transmitting on it in January of '77) and we designed a special Christmas Card to send to all our clients and friends. Our tower is the tallest thing around and we figured it was so high, that even Santa might get tangled up trying to fly over it. Here is the outside and inside of the card.


After 10 years as an NBC Affiliate, expanding into the Florence (Shoals) area, the competitiion from WOWL-TV became significant. With ABC we would have no competition in the quad cities area .....AND ABC has just become the number ONE network in the nation. We have just finished building our 1,000 foot tower. We go back to ABC and make a presentation to change to our station which has become #1 in News ratings in the past few years (still a close race with channel 19) while WYUR is a distant third in the news ratings. ABC agrees we would be the best affiliate and agree to the change. Dan Whitsett and M.D. Smith, IV negotiated the switch in New York in June. The affiliate meeting is over, so Dan and M.D.,IV fly to L.A. in July for the promotion manager's meeting. ABC affiliates are flying high with the ratings and are #1 for the second year. The theme for the fall campaign is "STILL THE ONE" using the popular hit song for a theme. The switch is made on December 11, 1977. Here, my son Brent (age 9) is holding the full page ad from the newspaper on that day.

A coffee mug was created with the "Still The One" logo and the 31 worked in. The reverse side of the mug had the full size 31 logo and call letters. The heavy, serif "31" has been used for many years. Soon after we would adopt the more modern 31 logo with the circle around it similar to WABC-TV, Channel 7 in New York. (See 1979)


January - M.D. Smith, III wrote a motivational letter to all the Radio personnel and I (MDS IV) got a copy and also delivered it to the 31 TV people because I thought it said such good things. Here is that "New Year's Resolution" letter complete with a signature of MDS III at the bottom. It has been re-typed for the internet, but the signature is original. (Note: MDS III died in 1985 of cancer)

February 1978 - Judy and M.D. Smith, IV fly to Las Vegas to pick up our new Live-31-Eye truck that we bought and had customized. (B&W photo just after paint job) It was a very snowy and icy trip back in the van with one stretch taking 8 hours for 100 miles coming into Memphis. Here's the truck in Summer 1989 downtown and at the 20th Anniversary of Man on the Moon, live remote at the Space & Rocket Center.


June - ABC network and Channel 31 continue to be tops in the ratings. ABC had used "We're The One" for a theme in 1978, but reverted to the music and logo of Still The One for the fall of 1979 and we make a new coffee cup sporting our new Circle 31 Logo for that year. Here is the back of the same coffee cup with the full station circle 31 logo. Notice the Red and Blue Racing Stripe that Scott Smith thought added a nice touch.

July - Bought our first Production Vehicle. It was a 1974 International Travelall that cost $2,000 used. It did the job and we didn't have to have production people use their own cars anymore and pay them mileage. Lew Koch was happy. Here is rear view of the unit and you see the original front of the TV station (no dishes or radar), and the guy anchors for the new 1,000 tower are in front of the unit. (see 1981 for the next production truck we bought).


May - WAAY Radio installs and begins broadcasting from the new 50,000 watt transmitter on Pulaski Pike for all daytime hours. At night, the station still used the downtown studio site for the 500 watt directional array. The current slogan for the hit music is The HOT Hits. This mug shows the 50,000 watts, Stereo, and "The Hot One".

May - Channel 31 has great ratings after several difficult years against Channel 19 and so we celebrate with a picnic on the front lawn. Some of those attending of interest: Bob Baron (Weatherman), Don Roden (was asst. chief engineer and after short time as engineer with Ch. 54 who came to town in 1985 ,went on to be Chief Engineer of channel 19 before leaving for private business) and the NewsHound, as he was called, Dick VanValkenburg, who did all the wreck and hard news coverage with a Cannon Scoopic 16 film camera for years. He died from one of several heart attacks he had. Dick died in December of 1986. The ratings for the book were:

HOMES           Arbitron


31              71,000

19              59,000

48              14,000


31              51,000

19              39,000

48              12,000

December 11, 1980 Eloise Smith Hanna died at age 87. (4-7-1893 to 12-11-1980)


March - The FIRST "CHOPPER 31" takes to the air. This is the first time we have had a chopper for aerial photos (using fixed wing aircraft like Aztec 31TV in the past). It is one of many to serve Channel 31 since then.

July - Bought our second Production Vehicle. It was our first Truck It was a 1977 Van Dura that cost $4,000 used. It replaced the Travelall that we traded in and got $1500 off the price. Lew Koch was again, happy. It was kept until May of '87 when it sold for $1,250 and we again stepped up to a newer van.

August, 22 - (From 1979 to 1980, M.D. IV lost many pounds with Weight Watchers and begins exercising in races, including the budding new sport, Triathlons.) There were none in Huntsville, so M.D. IV, with the help of Bettie Higgins, Channel 31 puts on our first of many annual 3in1 Triathlons. A 3 mile run, 6 mile bike and 400 meter swim at the Natatorium. We have 400 entrants (and more wanting to do it) the first year. It peaks at 600 entrants in 1985 and then drop back to 400 in the late 80's and early 90's) The Sub-Theme of this event has always been, "To Finish Is To Win."


March 24, - Channel 48 has a fire in the early evening and the studio/transmitter building burns to the ground. They move to current site on the Parkway and rebuild a transmitter house at the old location.

April 13, - In record time, Channel 48 returns to the air. WAAY-TV runs a letter in the newspaper welcoming them back on the air.


January 26 - Winds Of War - This was a huge reception and promotion put on by Channel 31 to promote ABC's Mini-Series, "The Winds of War" from the novel by Herman Wouk. It was an 18 hour TV production almost every night from February 6th to February 13th. We rented most of the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center (including the theatre) to put on this press party. Here's the invitation. One of the highlights of the evening was a LIVE telephone hookup with Ralph Bellamy who played FDR in the series. He was asked questions of the press and gave answers that were quoted in local publications.

The press package face looked like this and went to all radio and newspapers in the area. At the reception, members of the staff of WAAY-TV, Channel 31 lined up to be introduced by General Manager "Commander" M.D. Smith. All women's uniforms were authentic. The women's came from the nation's only Army Corps Museum at Ft. MCClellan. Note the hair styles.
Other photos of the event include
1. Jim Marsh (anchor), Julie Martin (promotion), Carl Spurlock (producer) and Lee Baker (artist).
2. A Huntsville Times photographer admiring Heather Burns (anchor) and Helen Howard (reporter).
3. Here General Manager M.D. Smith talks with the press just before the Ralph Bellamy speaker phone call.
4. Special guests also included REAL retired military officers and their wives.
5. This photo is of "Commander" M.D. Smith and Program Director Bettie Higgins who is wearing a 1942 WAC uniform and cap with the rank of Major.
6. In this typical ladies pose of 1942, we see Helen Howard, Heather Burns and Debi Benson.
7. A special cake with the Winds of War logo was created and shown here by Bettie Higgins.
8. This pose includes the tall Bob Baron (weathercaster) with Heather Burns (L) and Helen Howard and Debi Benson (R)
9. This photo includes News Director Mike Sullivan, Bettie Higgins and Mike's Wife, Patty Sullivan (we drafted everybody).
10. City Council Woman Jane Mabry (tall-center) "joined up" with staff members mentioned above.
11. The 31 News cars sported a triangular signboard promoting the February 6th series premier.
12. As a result of the WOW party, here is one newspaper article by Judi Moon from The Huntsville Times
13. Another newspaper photo with our women "Saluting their superior officer."
This was a major event and promotion of it. ABC gave us special credit for our local efforts in a future Affiliate Meeting the next June. M.D. Smith, III the CEO of Smith Broadcasting was particularly proud of this event since he loved promotion in Radio and TV stations.

November - WAAY Radio installs the New KAHN stereo system, which was incompatible with the other 2 systems on the market, with Motorola later becoming the system used in the receivers in cars. Install new stereo console, tape recorders and had a major ribbon cutting with Joe Davis, Mayor of Huntsville cutting the ribbons on the new stereo facility. (Glen Buxton was manager of WAAY radio at this time, Wayne Johnson, previous manager having been transferred to TV in sales support work.)


February - It's one of the city's worst ice storms that lasted 5 days. Power out to thousands of homes in the area. Takes many days to get it all restored. Just after the 5th day of the ice storm, Mr. Smith, III suffered a minor heart attack. He never seemed to recover well and continued to have chest problems and trouble breathing. In the summer of 1985 it was discovered he had lung cancer in a very advanced stage. The board decided with the declining ratings of Top 40 and the health of Mr. Smith, III that the AM stations would go with an Adult Contemporary Format from Satellite Music Corporation. WAAY Changed formats in August and WNUE followed in September.

M.D. Smith, III died from the cancer on September 20, 1985. (Born Feb. 20, 1917 - Died Sept. 20, 1985) Kirby Jones Smith (She prefered to be called Elizabeth Kirby Smith) becomes Chairman of the Board, with members M.D. Smith,IV, President -- Anita Smith Johnson, Vice President -- Ralph Dowdy, Member.

April - Channel 54 TV signs on the air. They are an independent station with no network affiliation. They run movies and syndicated programs. Later, they become affiliated with the FOX television network, as it starts from only a few hours a week to programming every night of the week.

May - Another logo coffee mug was this one containing our News slogan, "The Clear Choice" on the side of it.


July - Remembering the Ice Storm and Tornadoes of the past, Channel 31 decided to install a monster Catapillar Diesel Generator to power the entire station when the power goes out in the future. It was one of the things M.D. Smith,III talked about when he was alive and always wanted to do. We are the only station to do this (until AFTER the 1989 Tornadoes).


M.D. Smith, V (Dee) goes to work in news as a weekend photographer. In 1989 he transferrs to the Engineering Department in light maintenance and purchase and inventory control.

July - Scott Smith joins TV as Art Director after several years working for printing companies as commercial artist.

November 30 - First 5:00 p.m. newscast begins on Ch. 31. We were the first in the market and for 2 years had the ONLY 5:00 show. It became #1 over a sit-com and a game show and finally Ch. 19 added their own version that had less than half the numbers our show did by then. Ch. 48 expanded their 5:30 news back to 5:00 in 1992.

November - The Fall 1987 Ratings in Both Nielsen and Arbitron show 31 a big leader. See either the small 68k version or view the easier to read, larger 241k version of the numbers.

December - Brent Smith begins work striping La-Kart carts for production. Later transfers and becomes a switcher and master control operator.


February 13-28 - Calgary, Canada - ABC covered many Olympic Games. Here's a special cup that had a gold leaf Circle 31 logo on one side of it and the Logo for the Calgary 1988 Winter Games on the reverse side. We ordered these special made from ABC and they were quite expensive and a treasured client gift.

June - Losses continued at WAAY radio in spite of the reduced payroll from the satellite operation and it was decided to take it off the air in the summer of 1988 while we looked for a buyer for the station. No buyer was found immediately.

July - The board decides to give one last major try at WNUE to make it successful and drop the AC and satellite service and go back to live DJ's and the HIT (Top 40) Radio sounds that made the station famous. It was "NUE HITS 14" and it sounded great. The new logo designed by Scott Smith was put on a new coffee cup sporting Orange & Yellow lightning bolt. It was good old TOP 40 in 1988 and music was still on 45 RPM records, but was beginning a transitiion to CD's. Ratings did jump up several notches and the station was well listened to in the Ft. Walton area. However, getting and/or keeping competent sales personnel was all but impossible and after one year and two months( Sept. 1989), with losses large and continuing to grow, the station was also taken off the air and put on the market to sell.

September - A frequency is opened in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (near Chattanooga) and M.D. Smith and Robert "Cactus" Gay apply for it in the name of Smith Broadcasting. Later Cactus becomes the other partner. The Construction Permit (CP) was authorized in October 1989, but the change in Authorization to Marson Broadcasting (the new partnership) did not take place until April 23, 1990. Construction began immediately.


May - Sam Floyd of United Broadcasting buys WAAY radio for $300,000 and begins broadcasting in the early summer of 1989 with a Gospel Religious format. Unfortunately with TV Evangelist Jim Bakker going to jail and the other TV ministries scandals, religious broadcasting took a big drop in support.


Kimberly Johnson (daughter of Anita and Wayne) comes to work at Ch. 31 after working previously at WAAY Radio. She is in TV traffic department.

November 15 - A freak tornado rips through Huntsville and destroys Airport Road businesses, apartments, Jones Valley Elementary School and many homes on Tony Drive. Eighteen people were killed. Channel 31 was the ONLY station to have a generator and be able to stay on the air that night for extensive live and taped coverage. We got much praise from that wise move. Some time later, other stations got a generator, too.
Later the TV station raised $26,000.00 for the Red Cross Disaster funds (see Feb. '90 for details).


February 12 - Richard Matthews of the American Red Cross receives a check from M.D. Smith, IV for $26,000.00. This is the proceeds from sale of tapes of our news coverage of the Nov. '89 tornado. Other photo shows the "large" check presented to the Red Cross. The current news set of 31News can be seen in the background with the backlighted "sky" and leaves in the foreground.

March - The STAR 31 Logo is born. Scott Smith was asked to rework the logo without the circle around it and while doing so, he tested putting a STAR in the 31. It was approved and in a few months, it was on the building, cars, coffee cups and certainly on the air.

Summer - No buyer found for WNUE, which has been off the air since fall of 1989. Some equipment is used for the new radio station, WKXJ-FM, a Class C2 station being built in So. Pittsburg/Chattanooga, Tennessee on 97.3 MHz.

November - WKXJ-FM goes on the air on November 5, 1990. This is the first bumper sticker for 97-Kicks. It is a "Hot Adult Contemporary" format. M.D. Smith, IV and Robert A. (Cactus) Gay own the station under Marson Broadcasting. (Marson is an old name used by M.D. Smith, III during the war years in his manufacturing plant, Marson Company. It was the "Mar" from Marcellus and the "Son" from Davidson that formed the name.

The "oldies" music was bought on 10" Reel-to-Reel tapes and dubbed with great effort to the old "carts"(many came from WAAY and WNUE radio). Carts were the cartridge tapes that played commercials and music at the radio stations in the 80's to keep music sounding better and not getting scratched and dirty as in the early days when the actual 45 record was played on the air. The looked very much like the old 8-track music tapes, but were built differently. However, all the NEW music of the 90's came on CD and was played on a home type CD player. Eventually a new music "oldies" library was bought and the cart tapes were retired for music. A few years later, all commercials were put on computer disk and the cart machines were taken out of service forever.

September - The general manager, Harmon (Dutch) VanBuskirk, of WNUE for 25 years, finds a partner, Neil Braswell and decide to buy just the frequency and transmitter & tower and lease the building for 2 years. Dutch gets back on the air in October 1990 with a "Talk" format. It is satellite news and talk and Dutch has some live phone-in talk shows.


May After losing money for almost two years at the newly named WAAJ, (the old WAAY-Radio on 1550) the station goes off the air again and comes back to Smith Broadcasting.

November - Channel-31-TV ratings come in to show our station the dominate news leader in Huntsville. The station is #1 for ALL newscasts, seven days a week in ratings, share and households. This is the strongest position the TV station has ever been in. The other stations continue to cut staff. Now both channel 48 and channel 19 have staffs of about 75, while channel 31 has a staff of over 125 with the plans to begin a new noon newscast on June 1, 1992.


February - No buyers were found for WAAY-AM, so the equipment was advertised to be sold. In February the board voted to demolish the WAAY studios building (on Church Street near downtown) and develop the property in some other way. The building is leveled in 45 minutes with a bulldozer on Thursday, March 12, 1992. Transmitter sold to Bishop Willis for his Memphis 50kw station. Later a minority partnership bought the license, towers, and daytime property on Pulaski Pike and put WAAJ back on the air with the old 5,000 watt transmitter and begin a religious-gospel format.

(end of original '55 - '92 M.D.S. IV Update section)


June 1 - Ch. 31 began NOON newscasts Monday through Friday.

June 8 - Ch. 31 becomes the first station to Close Caption ALL its local newscast for the hearing impaired. Ch. 19 began a year later.
There was a large reception and celebration held. The local AIDB (Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind) and other officials and dignataries attended the announcement at the Huntsville Hilton. Here, Mayor Steve Hettinger addresses the audience (with person "signing" what is being said). There was a special memorial cake made with both the WAAY-31-TV logo and the [CC] logo on it to honor the event.
This also happened to be Mr. and Mrs. M.D. Smith, IV's Thirty-First (31) anniversary that same night. Judy Smith received a special flower arrangement and a "Circle 31" gold necklace made the same as the 31 logo pin anchors wore a few years before.

August 22 - The 12th Annual 3in1 Triathlon takes place. A special Star 31 Mug was created for winners in the age divisions. As always, the slogan "To Finish Is To Win" appears.


Jaunary 3 - Sunday, 8am newscast begins on Channel 31, following ABC's beginning of Good Morning America, Sunday edition from 7-8am.

April 15 - It is announced that Channel 31 has re-hired Bob Baron who left Channel 48 and he will be doing weather forecasts along with Gary Dobbs after a year of working behind the scenes (due to previous contract restrictions keeping him off the air for 12 months.) Several nights later, severe weather hits the area and the new "31 Storm Tracker" does a superb job tracking and predicting where storms will move. It is the only tracker on TV in the valley. Others add similar capabilities some months later.

April 17-19 - Ch. 31 begins Weekend early morning news from 6:00 to 7:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Ch. 31's Monday through Friday 6:30-7:00 am news expands to a full Hour from 6:00 to 7:00 a.m. and we move the WAAY-TOO-EARLY program back to 5:30 a.m. (W2E later expands to one hour also beginning at 5 a.m.)

Summer - We decide to become a 24 Hour News Station presenting MORE NEWS around the clock. Our new coffee cup this year shows 24 Hour logo. We are already doing newsbriefs every hour on the hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sports on the hourly Newsbreaks was included.

August 21 - The 13th annual "31 3-in-1 Triathlon" takes place at Old airport and Natatorium.

November - WKXJ-FM, 97Kicks begins broadcasting with a 99.3 Translator in the Chattanooga Metro area. Now with the 50,000 watt main transmitter on 97.3 covering the rural area and the new translator covering Chattanooga, the future looks brighter for the profit potential of the radio station. On this, its 3rd annivarsary (Nov. 5) it still is not making significant profit, but paying its own way. We decide to make the sound even "hotter" and are successful in getting teens and young adults with the "Hot Jammin' Kicks-FM" sound and logo. (both this and original sticker artwork done by Scott Smith).


April 15 - Bob Baron Joins Gary Dobbs on air...we now have the top one and two weather people in the valley on our station.


March 1 - HiWAAY Information Service becomes a reality. We decide to become our own Internet Access Provider for our TV station, and supply to the public at the same time. Bryan Smith comes to work as Manager to this fledgling operation. We Premiered at the IEEE Computer show in February and sold subscriptions even though the HiWAAY was not paved. We do get operational on the first, but there were quite a few start-up problems. These problems are ironed out in the first several months. We hoped to have 200 subscribers after 12 months. In less than a year, we had over 2,000. Buying NUANCE Internet Services in August of 1995 added about 250 subscribers to the subscriber base. Soon we added a slogan, "Real Internet, Real Fast" to the original globe logo we created in late 1994.


July 7 - LIVESTAR 31 arrives in town. This is Channel 31's first Satellite Uplink Truck. It is a monster and bigger than the one Channel 19 has purchased that comes to town a week later. Now we can do LIVE broadcast from anywhere in our viewing area, that previously were blocked for microwave by the mountains.

August 19 - The 14th annual "31 3-in-1 Triathlon" takes place at Old airport and Natatorium.

August 25 - SHOALS STAR RADAR comes to the valley. This is a high powered Enterprise Electronics Corporation (EEC) weather radar mounted in a Winnebago Motor Home. It is taken to the Shoals and put in service as an early warning radar for areas west to the Mississippi river. It has the Baron processor on it, which can see 16 levels of rain.

November - Channel 31 announces the opening of THREE new area bureaus. They are located in Guntersville (Marshall County), Scottsboro (Jackson/DeKalb counties) and Fayettville, TN (for Tennessee counties). This brings to FIVE, the area bureaus covering the whole 31 viewing area with regional/area bureaus for a local focus on news, un-matched by any other TV station. We also can get to News Events faster with AIRSTAR, a twin-turbine prop-jet MU-2 aircraft.


January 1 - Beginning announcements of 31 DOPPLER MAX run on Channel 31. We are testing out the most sensitive doppler radar in the valley. The antenna is located on top of a specially constructed, 120 foot, 3 section base tower, supporting the massive EIGHTEEN FOOT RADOME housing the 14' diameter dish antenna. It is the best technology for doppler weather radar in the SouthEast. It has the same transmitter power as the U.S. Weather Service at the airport, but has a larger dish for more gain, and the state-of-the-art Baron Processor with 16 levels of color intensity for rain, and special doppler functions not available with any other radar. The premier of "31 DOPPLER MAX" is on January 17, 1996. As a part of this Doppler Max "kick-off" over 100,000 bumper stickers where distributed to announce the most sensitive radar in the valley.

December 7 - The tradition continues-- WAAY-31-TV held it's 20th Annual Christmas Parade in Downtown Huntsville. In order to commemorate this tradition that started in December of 1976, a special anniversary patch was made.


March 1 - HiWAAY Information Services has TWO-YEAR Anniversary. It has grown to over 5,000 individual subscribers and a large number of corporate network and web-site customers. The offices and computer equipment were reloacated to spacious accomadations at Market Square on Memorial Parkway.

May 23 - Mrs. M.D. (Elizabeth Kirby Jones) Smith, III (age 80) (born Sept. 29, 1916 - died May 23, 1997) passed away after a long period of declining health. M.D. Smith, IV continues as President and General Manager of WAAY-TV. Anita Smith (sister) and M.D. Smith, IV now co-own Smith Broadcasting, Inc. and the TV station.

June - The Storm Team (weather team) of Gary Dobbs, Adrian Gibson and Kristen Cornett take to the air. Kristen is also trained to drive and operate a remote weather station (Feb. 98) with GPS tracking called the Storm Chaser van. There is much focus on the weather in these years.


December - HiWAAY Information Services, the largest ISP in Huntsville, buys all of AirNet and the on-line business of Traveller, Inc. to become the largest independent ISP in Alabama. Now with over 20,000 dial up customers and many hundreds of commercial customers in North Alabama. There are also POPís (Point of Presence) in Birmingham and Montgomery. Under the leadership of Mark Derrick, HiWAAY continues to grow and prosper.


January - M.D. Smith, IV elects to move from Channel 31 on Monte Sano, where he has had offices for 36 years, to the home office location on Clinton Street in the Civic Plaza building. Because of the merger of HiWAAY and the other ISPís, this central location makes it easier to direct attention to both Businesses. Redge Swing is promoted to General Manager of WAAY-TV while M.D. Smith, IV remains President and CEO of Smith Broadcasting, the parent corporation. Dan Whitsett is in charge of corporate sales, but concentrating on work with HiWAAY.

March 1 - HiWAAY Information Services has FOUR-YEAR Anniversary. The offices at Market Square on Memorial Parkway had to be greatly expanded and currently a build-out across the mall in a vacant area is underway to support the nearly doubling of staff after the acquisition of AirNet and Traveller. A special Blue & Gold logo coffee cup (collector's item) was produced for clients.

May 18 - It is announced to the staff that WAAY-TV is being sold to Grapevine Communications of Atlanta. The main reason given is to concentrate the family business efforts into the expanding Internet business and use the needed capital to grow at a rate equal to other Internet Service Providers (ISP's) in Alabama. The sale had to wait for FCC approval. It was granted in July and the final order was received in early September. WAAY-TV, Channel 31 officially becomes owned and operated by Grapevine/GoCom Communications on October 1, 1999. Smith Broadcasting continues in the Internet Communications business, the "broadcasting" medium for the 21st Century.


January 20 - HiWAAY Information Services continues to purchase other ISP's in Alabama. One of the largest is Idea-Works of Birmingham adding over 3,000 dial up subscribers and several hundred commercial customers. Redge Swing, who was in sales at Channel 31 for 30 years and joined Hiwaay in December of 1999, is promoted to CAO (Chief Administrative Officer) of HiWAAY. Here he stands by the 200,000 watt Caterpillar Generator that powers the battery back up systems in case of a power failure.

March 7 - HiWAAY Internet (formerly "Information") Services has FIVE-YEAR Anniversary. Having bought other ISP's in Huntsville and Birmingham, the HiWAAY has grown to 22,000 dial-up scribers and over 2,000 commercial customers. HiWAAY will continue to grow larger with major expansion of DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) and ADSL services beginning this month.

March 20 - Ground is broken on the old WAAY Radio property for a new 480 unit self-storage facility. Located at 1015 County Road, this is the 5 acre site of WAAY Radio before it closed in the 80's. The old radio station on 1550 khz is still on the air, but broadcasting from the daytime site (see May 1980) north of town. This is a re-birth of a Smith property bought in the 50's The web page for it is SmithStoreIt.com and completion is expected by Fall 2000.

August 7 - Redge Swing is promoted to CAO (Chief Administrative Officer) AND General Manager of HiWAAY. HiWAAY is on track for growth and expansion in the state of Alabama, as a major Birmingham area marketing campaign begins. Construction of a new "Data Center" will begin in Birmingham in January of 2001.

August 19 - 20TH ANNUAL 3-in-1 TRIATHLON is conducted at Old Airport. Smith Broadcasting is the sponsor and has been for 20 years in a row.

September - Even though Channel 31 is no longer owned by Smith Broadcasting, they are still using the Star 31 logo and have added the web site address to this gold rimmed cup.


January 2 "Smith Store It" opens for business. Grand opening with ribbon cutting by Mayor of Huntsville, Loretta Spencer , takes place May12, 2001. SmithStoreIt.com . Brent Smith and Mike Click (who married Allison Smith) have been the two people working full time with the storage operation since construction began in March of 2000. Scott Smith designed the logo for SSI and is doing other graphic work for signs and printed materials.

M.D. Smith, V ("Dee") had been involved with the web site design and updates. Dee and his wife Kristen had their first child on 01-01-01 (it was snowing this day) and named him M.D. Smith, VI and call him Marc.

August 18 - 21ST ANNUAL 3-in-1 TRIATHLON is conducted at Old Airport. HiWAAY Internet Services is the sponsor and this is the 21st year of Smith's Sponsorship of the event having put on the first one in 1981.


January 11 - Martin Smith branches out from the family business when he purchases Auto Accessory Express at 202 Ward Avenue, Huntsville. He is the primary owner of the partnership with M.D. Smith, IV. The business web site is http://www.autoaccessoryexpress.com/ Here is a photo of Martin and M.D. Smith, IV outside shop. Also, here's the re-designed logo as well as the original logo.

April 12 - M.D. Smith, IV was honored at his Alma Mater, The University of Alabama, with the "Betsy Plank Distinguished Achievement" award. Here, Cully (E. Culpepper) Clark , Dean of the College of Communication and Information Sciences, presents the award at a ceremony in the Old Union Building. The refurbished building is once again the home of the Communications School as it was when Smith attended and graduated in 1963.

August - SmithStoreIt.com Self Storage expands with purchase of Highway 72 East Mini Storage. In September, a new billboard went up on the Highway and soon other improvements will be made to this existing facility. While smaller than SSI on County Road, it's in a very good location with high traffic count.


March 5 - HiWAAY Internet Services 8th Birthday. Here is a TV commercial still photo of the falling dominoes , which depicted other ISP's falling by the wayside, while HiWAAY remained Rock Solid. In a later commercial, HiWAAY is shown to have all the "building blocks" needed for a complete internet (castle) solution to business and personal desires.

Certainly it has been more difficult for ISP's in the last few years and a lot of them have folded up. HiWAAY continues to improve the bottom line and while not making much money, we are not losing it, either. On this occasion, the 8TH (see logo) Birthday, we had a cake to share with staff and friends. Gathered behind the cake are (L to R) M.D. Smith, Redge Swing (General Manager), Charles Boley (dept. manager and one of oldest employees) and Scott Swing (Redge's son who is a "long-term" salesman). And closer, M.D. Smith cuts the cake to start the celebration.

August 23, 2003 - The 31 Alumni Reunion

A gathering of as many staff members as we could locate from the years 1963 to 1999. MDS IV created the "31alumni.com" website before the event. Here will be found tons of stories of past 31 Alumni (and current employees) along with many photos of them then as well as now. Great addition to the history website you are reading now. Here is the opening paragraph of my "welcome" speech from the web site.

"To have 50% of the adult audience for a newscast is powerful stuff. Yet, thatís what Channel 31 did in the 70ís, in the 80ís and early 90ís. We hit numbers that made history. All of you here tonight were a part of either the building process to get there, or being on top and trying to stay there. Either way, it was always a challenge, usually fun and at the same time we always had to make a profit to stay in business and grow. "

The photo is of Ken Rainey and Dave Stanley (weather and news anchors of mid 70's) with me. You will find many photos of the reunion taken at Ditto on that date and news about 31 that has occured since, like the tower collapse.


March - HiWAAY Internet Services is TEN years old this month It has been ten amazing years to see the growth of a small branch of WAAY-TV, that currently has almost the same number of employees as channel 31 does today.

Two new products have been added this year to compliment the range of services that HiWAAY offers.

The first one is the Rocket Access accelerator for dial-up access. Running this software will increase speeds up to five times normal. Of course if you want blazing speed, you sign up for Broadband DSL service.

The other service is the HiWAAY Computer Clinic for sick computers. The clinic will wipe all the viruses, spyware, worms, trojans and other bad infections from your computer and add several protections programs to keep your computer healthy and non-infected in the future.

June 2005 - SmithStoreIt.com Self Storage expands 72 East location with 38 CLIMATE CONTROL and 82 standard units for a total of 400 spaces. Brent Smith becomes General Manager of both locations.



HiWAAY Internet Services launches the Network Services Division. Customers can now have HiWAAY install and maintain their LANS and equipment in addition to all their hosting, serving, and connection needs to the internet.


HiWAAY Internet Services moves to a new and more modern facility on Drake Avenue. More spacious parking in a village park atmosphere filled with other technical companies and doctor's offices.



After M.D. Smith, IV takes over as General Manager of HiWAAY in late 2008, son Bryan Smith moves from the Birmingham office to Huntsville to become Operations Manager and a more key part of the family business.


March 2010 - HiWAAY Internet Services Celebrates our 15th Anniversary. (larger logo)
May 1, 2011 - HiWAAY Internet Services was bought by Jason Mohprasit (employee of Hiwaay) & partner.

© 1942, © 2010 Smith Broadcasting, Inc. and M.D. Smith, IV